Sunday, May 11, 2008

Who am I?

After hearing Pastor Shawn's message on Friday, and seeing the video that Andre made with Potter and Jason, I had to ask myself this question: Who am I? I was no more clear about myself, than I had been before. I know who I would like to be, and I know what I would like to do with my life, but have no idea what I am supposed to be doing right now. So I asked myself these questions:
What is my purpose here on earth?
What is expected of me?
Why am I even here?
Why do I have the friends that I have?

I sat down and began wondering if I was truly being myself. I wondered if I was trying to be somebody I wasn't. I had spent so much of my life trying to fit in with different crowds, that I began to wonder if I had compromised myself. I doubted if I even knew who the real me is. Was I just wearing a mask, and playing a role? Did I spend more time trying to please others, rather than myself (or God) ? Once I finally convinced myself that I always do my best to be true to myself, and always try to honor God, I began to ask a different set of questions:
Am I identified by my parents?
Am I identified by my husband?
Am I identified by my friends?
Am I identified by my job (or whether I have one or not)?
Am I identified by my education?

I had to seriously figure out what makes me, me. After several hours of prayer and self-reflection, I've decided that I am my own person, but every aspect of my life (family, friends, church, work, school) has molded me into who I am today. If it weren't for all of those factors, I would be a completely different person. (I don't think I would have liked the other me.) This revelation led to a whole other set of questions:
Am I the best person I can be?
What can I improve about myself?
How can I continue to help others?
Can I truly make a difference in other people's lives?
Am I putting other's needs before my own?
Why was I chosen for this particular ministry?
How can I serve God better?

Unfortunately, I don't have the answers to these questions yet. I'm still in the process of figuring them out. Everyday, I learn something new about myself, and how I can benefit others. I pray to God for guidance, strength, and perseverance. Only God knows the person I will become. Everyday, He reveals to me more and more. Everything will be given to me one step at a time. He will not reveal more than I need. I may not be able to see the entire path, but I know that as long as I continue to have faith in God, I will become the person He wants me to.

No comments: