Monday, March 23, 2009

Being a New Mommy

I became a mommy on January 7, 2009. I was so scared! I thought I was going to be a terrible mommy, and that my baby would suffer because of my inexperience. I had no clue what I was doing! Nothing anybody told me was going to prepare me for this new life that I was responsible for. I began to wonder what God was thinking when he made me a parent. I'm not the most patient person in the world, and I never saw myself as a stay-at-home mom. I've always wanted children, but never expected to be the primary caregiver. I would rather be out working. I beat myself up about that thought everyday. I wonder if there is something wrong with me, because I don't want to stay home with my baby. God knew what he was doing, right?

Obviously, God knows something I don't. He has faith in me as a parent, and knows I will do a good job. I look at my beautiful baby's face, and realize I have been given a gift. It is my job to take the best care of her that I am capable of. There have been, and will be times that I will become frustrated, but God will help me through those times. I remind myself that it's not her fault, and there is no reason for me to be angry with her. I am not expected to raise this baby alone. Not only do I have Rex to help, but we also have God supporting us as well. I was never expected to do it by myself. God is always by our side, holding us up and giving us the strength we need to care for this precious baby.

Children truly are a miracle. Everyday, I'm reminded that I wouldn't have been given my baby, if God didn't trust me to raise her. Whenever I get scared, I just need to go to God, and ask for the peace I need to get through the day. It's also comforting to know that God has placed other people in my life, who love my baby almost as much as I do, and who will help me and Rex whenever we need a break from parenthood. Even the "perfect" and "ideal" parent needs a break from their children once in a while. We are not the only ones! I truly am blessed to be a parent, and look forward to whatever the future holds for me, Rex, and Baby Katherine.

No comments: